All event info
- Date: Sunday, 30 September 2012
- Time: Registration from 6:30am, races start from 8:45am
- Venue: Kwambo, Zululand
- Distances: 25km, 50km, 10km fun ride
Enter now with Roag, click here! Online entries close midnight 26 September 2012!
Some perks for this year’s race:
- Batching! We are batching this year. Please note that late entries cannot be seeded, so please enter online now to be batched! For all batch queries, please email Shane on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The video production team will be in full swing so make sure to make an appearance to get your 15 minutes of fame!
What to expect on the route
The Lion roars again! The final event in the 2012 MiWay Big 5 Mountain Bike Series takes place on Sunday 30 September at the Kwambonambi Club in Kwambonambi. The little Zululand town 180km North of Durban, will come alive with a hive of activities for the whole family.
The 50km route is an exciting one taking riders mainly along single tracks through plantations and through very scenic landscapes in the tribal lands surrounding Kwambonambi. A definite highlight is the climb up to Double Storey hill followed by the most exhilarating downhill of the Series! The most exciting change to the route compared to 2011, is the removal of the District road section, which has been replaced with glorious single and jeep track which makes this the must-do track!
The 25km route is a fast, rider-friendly route mainly along single track with some gravel roads.
For the little ones – and those testing the mountain biking waters – there is the 10 km fun ride on mainly farm roads. This will take place during the staging of the 25 km and 50 km race with plenty of lucky draw prizes for the kiddies.
In addition to club facilities, a Kid Zone and catering stalls are be provided. Camping facilities will be available near the clubhouse with showers, toilets, bar, restaurant and braai facilities at no extra cost.
This all promises to be a fun-filled family event. So, pack the picnic basket, load the bikes and get there!
- Protea Umfolozi River
- Marche Private Hotel
- Accommodation in Richards Bay (30km drive to Kwambonambi)
Directions and map
Take the Kwambonambi turn-off the N2, go over the railway bridge and take the 3rd road to the left (Bredelia). Go past the school, church and the municipality on your right then you will go around a tree in the middle of the road – just after that tree, you will turn right into the Kwambonambi Country Club.
Race over? Click here for results, photos and videos.
MiWay Big5 MTB Series quick links
- Outdoor and Fitness Expo – 12 May 2012
- Race 1 of 5: Zini Estate Buffalo Classic – 13 May 2012
- Race 2 of 5: Heatonville Leopard Classic – 24 June 2012
- Race 3 of 5: Hluhluwe Rhino Charge – 22 July 2012
- Race 4 of 5: Monzi Hippo Challenge – 2 September 2012
- Race 5 of 5: Kwambo Lion MTB Race – 30 September 2012
- Gala dinner & Prizegiving – 6 October 2012
Make sure to follow MiWayMTB on Facebook for all results, news, videos and more for the MiWayBig5 Series!