All event info
- Date: Sunday, 2 September 2012
- Time: Registration from 6:30am, races start from 8:45am
- Venue: Monzi Golf Club, Monzi, Zululand
- Distances: 25km, 50km, 10km fun ride
Enter now with Roag, click here! Online entries close midnight 29 August 2012!
Voted the BEST race in the 2011 MiWay Big5 MTB Series, this is a ride you don’t want to miss!
Some perks for this year’s race:
- Batching! We are batching this year. Please note that late entries cannot be seeded, so please enter online now to be batched! For all batch queries, please email Shane on email@example.com.
- The video production team will be in full swing so make sure to make an appearance to get your 15 minutes of fame!
What to expect on the route
Voted Best Overall Race 2011 by you the riders, this race has sections that are certain to both challenge and reward riders of all skill levels. This year the Monzi team have re-worked the route completely and now have a track that will be a delight especially for the rider who hasn’t quite developed those climbing skills and a perfect ride for the whole family through the country side. This is the ride you’d use to get the kids into cycling and for those of you hovering over the decision to upgrade to a 50km route.
Being a comparatively fast track, the Monzi Hippo Challenge race provides the perfect opportunity to improve your overall time in the MiWay Big5 Series. Leave this one out and you may be saddened to see your rivals leaping ahead of you with an improved overall average time!
Set along the Monzi flats through the sugar cane fields and partially bordering the Southern Perimeter of the World Heritage site of the St Lucia Wetland Park, this tree-lined track winds through the scenic countryside next to the Umfolozi river. Once again there will be some very rideable single track at the start, as well as through the natural forest adjacent to the Futululu reserve towards the finish, with most of the long flat sections from previous years discarded.
The 10km route is designed to be a fun race aimed at encouraging the next generation’s 50km entrants to begin their riding careers. The circular route is made up of two 5km laps, allowing the smaller kids or the unfit parents to participate in the race and take a break if the legs give in.
The overall day promises to be a fun family day for all involved. Whether you are the cyclist in the family, or the family cheerleader, you are sure to find something at the Monzi Hippo Challenge that tickles your fancy. So even if it’s the Monzi ladies’ delicious bacon and egg rolls, there are many reasons to come join us at the Monzi Hippo Race on the 2nd of September. We look forward to seeing you all there once again.
How to get there
Venue, start & finish: Monzi Golf Club. Directions from Durban:
- Travel on the (N2) north towards Empangeni.
- 50km past Empangeni, turn right to Mtubatuba and then travel towards St.Lucia for approximately 15km.
- Turn right towards Monzi, travel 5km then turn left into the Monzi Village.
- The club is situated 500m down the gravel road on the left hand side.
Race over? Click here for results, photos and videos.
MiWay Big5 MTB Series quick links
- Outdoor and Fitness Expo – 12 May 2012
- Race 1 of 5: Zini Estate Buffalo Classic – 13 May 2012
- Race 2 of 5: Heatonville Leopard Classic – 24 June 2012
- Race 3 of 5: Hluhluwe Rhino Charge – 22 July 2012
- Race 4 of 5: Monzi Hippo Challenge – 2 September 2012
- Race 5 of 5: Kwambo Lion MTB Race – 30 September 2012
- Gala dinner & Prizegiving – 6 October 2012
Make sure to follow MiWayMTB on Facebook for all results, news, videos and more for the MiWayBig5 Series!