All event info
- Date: Sunday, 22 July 2012
- Time: Registration from 6:30am, races start from 8:45am
- Venue: Protea Hotel, Hluhluwe, Zululand
- Distances: 25km, 50km, 10km fun ride
Enter now with Roag, click here! Online entries close midnight 18 July 2012!
Some perks for this year’s race:
- Batching! We are batching this year. Please note that late entries cannot be seeded, so please enter online now to be batched! For all batch queries, please email Shane on email@example.com.
- The video production team will be in full swing so make sure to make an appearance to get your 15 minutes of fame!
What to expect on the route
This year our organisers Greg and Piet together with the experience of Gavin have made a number of changes to the 2011 route to provide a ride that’ll be enjoyed by all without congestion on the single track!
Then we have Gavin’s warped sense of humour coming into play, with names such as The Gavinator, Urban Assault, U-tube Extension, Nipple Hill, Aloe Alley, you can expect at the very least a very interesting ride! The Urban Assault is a set of deserted derelict buildings in the middle of the bush one would expect the track builder to skirt, but Gavs’ sense of humour has the track running through the empty building! You may remember the U-tube at the beginning of the 2011 race, now it’s situated at the end of the race, extended by 1.5km’s and with additional berms and bridges, this is just pure fun, forget about racing, just enjoy!
The track winding up and past “Nipple Hill” through the aptly named Aloe Alley and then into the rugged Zululand Savannah grassland, together with game farms, fast district roads down “power hill” and the inevitable pineapple fields of the area make this a ride not to miss.
The kiddie’s 10 km ride – dubbed the ‘Tour de Pineapple’ is a straightforward cruise of the pineapple fields adjoining the hotel grounds and is designed for the kiddie’s, family riders and walkers. Water tables along the way and a safe riding environment make this a true ‘fun’ ride for the family. Hluhluwe Superspar sweetie bag for first 120 kiddies to finish.
Hluhluwe Rugby Club:
- Take the offramp to Hluhluwe off the N2.
- Turn right over the bridge and continue straight through town
- Go past the Protea Hotel & past the shops on your left
- Just past the police station on your right, you will see the Hluhluwe Rugby Club, parking is on the field and registration is in the club house.
Where to stay
This is the home to the world renowned national game parks of Imfolozi, Hluhluwe and the World Heritage Isimangaliso Wetland Park. If you’re looking for a weekend away and a chance for some riding then this is it. With the beaches of Sodwana and Cape Vidal one hour away, and health spas, game drives, curio and craft markets, croc farm and scuba diving nearby, the whole family has ample opportunity to explore for the weekend and you get the elusive “green card” to ride through Gavin and Greg’s 2012 route.
The venue is now at the Hluhluwe Rugby Club, a mere 200m further into town on the road to Sodwana. It allows ample parking space in a safe and secure area and huge grounds, which means a great Kidzone, and plenty of room to relax under the trees after the race.
Race over? Click here for results, photos and videos.
MiWay Big5 MTB Series quick links
- Outdoor and Fitness Expo – 12 May 2012
- Race 1 of 5: Zini Estate Buffalo Classic – 13 May 2012
- Race 2 of 5: Heatonville Leopard Classic – 24 June 2012
- Race 3 of 5: Hluhluwe Rhino Charge – 22 July 2012
- Race 4 of 5: Monzi Hippo Challenge – 2 September 2012
- Race 5 of 5: Kwambo Lion MTB Race – 30 September 2012
- Gala dinner & Prizegiving – 6 October 2012
Make sure to follow MiWayMTB on Facebook for all results, news, videos and more for the MiWayBig5 Series!