All event info
- Date: Sunday, 13 May 2012
- Time: Registration from 6:30am, races start from 8:45am
- Venue: Mtunzini Country Club, Mtunzini, Zululand
- Distances: 25km, 50km, 10km fun ride
Enter now with Roag, click here! Online entries close midnight 9 May 2012!
Let the Series begin!
The first race in the Series the Zini Estate Buffalo Classic is situated in the Coastal Resort town of Mtunzini, and for the second year the race is hosted by the country club.
Some perks for this year’s race:
- We are batching! Late entries cannot be seeded and cannot be batched so be sure to book online!
- There is a KID-ZONE, with sign-in facilities, so Mom and Dad can ride knowing their children are safe and happy. Click here for more info!
- Sky jumpers make an appearance, and there are fun competitions!
- Zini Estate have opened their bottom gate, this means, no horrendous hill at the start of the race.
- Our track builders have taken the route north over the Umlalazi river and into the forests of Port Durnford and have cut some awesome sections of fast free flowing single track!
- We have Mother’s Day gifts, courtesy of MiWay
- The video production team will be in full swing so make sure to make an appearance to get your 15 minutes of fame!
What to expect on the route
The route is a mixture of jeep track, coastal forest track, gum plantations and as always the Zululand sugar farm tracks.
Both the 25km and 50km race start at the Country Club down through the golf course to break up the field and into the Zini Estate, where the riders will follow the scenic route along the Umlalazi River, leaving out last year’s climb back up to the main gate and instead exiting at the bottom gate. Here the 25km splits off and heads south following a less challenging but equally enjoyable route that includes some great single track through the coastal forest and this year through the Mtunzini Forest Lodge Resort.
The 50km riders are in for a whole new treat as they cross over the old Umlalazi river bridge and head north into the Durnford forests. Here our track builders have cut new sections of fast flowing single track that winds down through the forest back over the Umlalazi bridge joining up with the 25km and then splitting to head further South and into new sections of single track through the natural forest breaks.
The Umlalazi Forest reserve at Twinstreams have once again granted permission to ride through the coastal forest and this together with the new Mtunzini Forest Lodge section, the new northern section and the route through the bottom gate of the Zini Estate means a vastly improved ride for 2012.
MiWay Big5 MTB Series Quick Links
- Outdoor and Fitness Expo – 12 May 2012
- Race 1 of 5: Zini Estate Buffalo Classic – 13 May 2012
- Race 2 of 5: Heatonville Leopard Classic – 24 June 2012
- Race 3 of 5: Hluhluwe Rhino Charge – 22 July 2012
- Race 4 of 5: Monzi Hippo Challenge – 2 September 2012
- Race 5 of 5: Kwambo Lion MTB Race – 30 September 2012
- Gala dinner & Prizegiving – 6 October 2012
Make sure to follow MiWayMTB on Facebook for all results, news, videos and more for the MiWayBig5 Series!